Hornswaggler | The culture, the humor, a bit of the sports, not so much the politics, and the workplace distraction

Hornswaggle is an alternate spelling of hornswoggle, an archaic word that means to bamboozle or hoodwink. I take my pronunciation from the late Harvey Korman in "Blazing Saddles" --

"I want rustlers, cutthroats, murderers, bounty hunters, desperados, mugs, pugs, thugs, nitwits, halfwits, dimwits, vipers, snipers, conmen, Indian agents, Mexican bandits, muggers, buggerers, bushwhackers, hornswagglers, horse thieves, bull dykes, train robbers, bank robbers, ass kickers, shit kickers and Methodists!"

Hornswaggler
Culture, Humor, Sports
Workplace Distraction

Friday, May 24, 2002

I'm off to the Mountain Aire music festival in Calaveras County -- land of the jumping frogs and crystal meth laboratories -- for which I've finagled a press and photo pass (the concert, not the labs). If I can't sell what results from this weekend as an article or ten, I will at least post it here. For now, I'll leave you with an excerpt from my upcoming novel:

"The last time I saw Stone Phillips, we were in Mexico City. We'd wandered into the wrong neighborhood, where we were confronted by a roving pack of toughs decked out with handlebar mustachios and leather chaps. Luckily, a fight broke out in a bar nearby and it spilled out into the street, engulfing us. The police responded. In the melee I ducked into the crowd and out of harm's way. Stone was not so lucky. As the police busted heads and I was borne away by the throng, I saw Stone, his pants around his ankles and his clothes in tatters, stumbling frantically up the alley into the darkness beyond, screaming "yo no soy homosexual! yo no soy homosexual!", with the gang members in hot pursuit. I'll never forget that night, especially the delicious enchiladas I had earlier at that quaint sidewalk cafe."

.: posted by hornswaggler 3:25 PM


|
Salon Articles
The Right Take on Libby?
Hurricane Horror Stories
"Looting" or "Finding"?
Run, Andy, Run!
Newsweek's Grand Inquisitor
Robert Blake
American Idol
Year in Television 2002
X-Files


Links
Andrew Sullivan
Atrios
Bigmouth's "Lost" blog
Chris Keating
Digby
Hendrik Hertzberg
Matt Yglesias
Paul Krugman
Peter Kinney
Talking Points Memo
Two Glasses


Contact




Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com